Text Size:

Current Size: 100%

Page Style:

Current Style: Standard

Am I a Carer?

A carer can be a parent, sister, brother, husband, wife, partner, foster parent, grandparent, son, daughter, friend or anyone else who supports a person with a disability in their home.

A carer provides unpaid care and support to a person with a disability.

Carers can access respite if they care for a person aged between 6 and 64 years who have a disability, such as

  • an acquired brain injury
  • an intellectual or physical disability
  • a degenerative neurological condition, or
  • an autism spectrum disorder.

If you care or support someone over the age of 64 (frail aged), or under the age of 6

  • contact your local Commonwealth Respite and Carelink Centre for more information on 1800 052 222, or go to the Victorian Carer Services Network to find your local Centre via their map.

For more information, please visit the Department of Human Services website.

© Respite Victoria 2014 Site designed and hosted by Infoxchange Australia 

This site is managed by Alfred Health Carer Services.